With global flight departures up 46% in February 2022 compared to February 2021, our Aviation Emissions Report looks at how this translates into global emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions. Our focus country this month is Spain - the seventh largest market for total aviation emissions in February 2022.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 38m tonnes, with two-thirds not covered by a major compliance scheme such as CORSIA or EU-ETS.
- Flight emissions from 24 out of the 25 largest emitting markets grew compared to February 2021 levels, the largest growth rates were Italy (+304%), United Kingdom (+289%) and Spain and Canary Islands (+280%).
- Vietnam was the only market in the 25 largest emitting countries to experience a reduction in aviation emissions in February 2022 compared to February 2021.
- China is the only market out of the top 25 largest emitting markets to see aviation emissions in February 2022 above February 2020 levels.
- Spotlight on Spain - the seventh largest source of global aviation emissions in February 2022, generating 0.9m tonnes of CO2.
- In February 2022, 83% of aviation emissions from Spain were covered by a compliance scheme.
- Intra continental services account for approximately 50% of aviation emissions from Spain.
- 6 out of the 10 most efficient routes operated from Spain are by Wizz Air according to RDC’s ranking of sustainability via our CARE Index.