As well as looking at global aviation emissions, our February 2022 report provides a focus on Spain this month.
With global flight departures up 46% in February 2022 compared to February 2021, our Aviation Emissions Report looks at how this translates into global emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions. Our focus country this month is Spain - the seventh largest market for total aviation emissions in February 2022.
Focus market on this month's report: Spain
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 38m tonnes, with two-thirds not covered by a major compliance scheme such as CORSIA or EU-ETS.
- Flight emissions from 24 out of the 25 largest emitting markets grew compared to February 2021 levels, the largest growth rates were Italy (+304%), United Kingdom (+289%) and Spain and Canary Islands (+280%).
- Vietnam was the only market in the 25 largest emitting countries to experience a reduction in aviation emissions in February 2022 compared to February 2021.
- China is the only market out of the top 25 largest emitting markets to see aviation emissions in February 2022 above February 2020 levels.
- Spotlight on Spain - the seventh largest source of global aviation emissions in February 2022, generating 0.9m tonnes of CO2.
- In February 2022, 83% of aviation emissions from Spain were covered by a compliance scheme.
- Intra continental services account for approximately 50% of aviation emissions from Spain.
- 6 out of the 10 most efficient routes operated from Spain are by Wizz Air according to RDC’s ranking of sustainability via our CARE Index.
Download this month's report here
Banner image by Matthias Heyde on Unsplash