Our July 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Switzerland as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 66.98m tonnes.
- 41% of aviation emissions in July 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in July 2023, when compared with July 2022 were Republic of Korea (+68%) and Thailand (+59%).
- Six markets (India, Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and Greece) out of the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in July 2023 above July 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Switzerland – the 30th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in July 2023.
- In July 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Switzerland were estimated at 0.47m tonnes, 6% below pre pandemic levels in July 2019.
- 88% of aviation emissions from Switzerland were covered by the CORSIA and Swiss ETS compliance schemes in July 2023.
- Swiss is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Switzerland over the past 12 months, followed by easyJet and Edelweiss Air.
- Over the last 12 months, of the 10 largest country markets by seat capacity from Switzerland, services to Turkey had the lowest emissions per available seat kilometre (ASK).