Our February 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at United States as our focus country.
Focus market on this month's report: United States
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 49.79m tonnes.
- 37% of aviation emissions in February 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in February 2023, when compared with February 2022 were Thailand (+143%), Republic of Korea (+114%) and Australia (+110%).
- Four markets (Turkey, India, Mexico and Saudi Arabia) in the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in February 2023 above February 2019 levels.
Spotlight on United States – the largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in February 2023.
- In February 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from United States were estimated at 11.86m tonnes, 7% below pre pandemic levels in February 2019.
- Just 26% of these aviation emissions in February 2023 from United States were covered by the CORSIA compliance schemes.
- Domestic services are by far the largest contributor to United States aviation emissions, followed by Intra-continental.
- American Airlines is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from the US market over the past 12 months, followed by Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.
Download this month’s report here
Our CO2 data which powers our monthly report is available as a dataset, via an API or as part of a subscription to Apex
Banner image by Max Bender on Unsplash