This month we look at United Kingdom as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 48.76m tonnes.
- 38% of aviation emissions in November 2022 were covered by a compliance programme such as Corsia or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in November 2022, when compared with November 2021 were Australia (+179%), Thailand (+167%) and Malaysia (+164%).
- Only one market (Mexico) in the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in November 2022 above November 2019 levels
Spotlight on United Kingdom – the 3rd largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in November 2022.
- In November 2022, passenger related aviation emissions from United Kingdom were estimated at 1.9m tonnes, 20% below pre pandemic levels in November 2019.
- 84% of these aviation emissions in November 2022 from United Kingdom were covered by a combination of UK-ETS and CORSIA compliance schemes.
- Inter-continental services are by far the largest contributor to United Kingdom’s aviation emissions, followed by Intra-continental.
- British Airways is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from the UK market over the past 12 months, followed by easyJet and Ryanair.
If you have found this interesting, you might also be interested in our recent article where we looked at how many airports have emissions-based charges and what these airports currently all have in common.