Our March 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Japan as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 56.64m tonnes.
- 38% of aviation emissions in March 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in March 2023, when compared with March 2022 were Thailand (+123%), Republic of Korea (+121%) and Malaysia (+99%).
- Four markets (India, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico) in the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in March 2023 above March 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Japan – the 6th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in March 2023.
- In March 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Japan were estimated at 1.67m tonnes, 27% below pre pandemic levels in March 2019.
- 43% of these aviation emissions in March 2023 from Japan were covered by the CORSIA compliance scheme.
- Since 2020 domestic services are by far the largest contributor to Japan's aviation emissions, followed by Inter-continental services.
- Japan Airlines is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Japan over the past 12 months, followed by ANA.