Our March 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Japan as our focus country.
Focus market on this month's report: Japan
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 56.64m tonnes.
- 38% of aviation emissions in March 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in March 2023, when compared with March 2022 were Thailand (+123%), Republic of Korea (+121%) and Malaysia (+99%).
- Four markets (India, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico) in the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in March 2023 above March 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Japan – the 6th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in March 2023.
- In March 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Japan were estimated at 1.67m tonnes, 27% below pre pandemic levels in March 2019.
- 43% of these aviation emissions in March 2023 from Japan were covered by the CORSIA compliance scheme.
- Since 2020 domestic services are by far the largest contributor to Japan's aviation emissions, followed by Inter-continental services.
- Japan Airlines is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Japan over the past 12 months, followed by ANA.
Download this month’s report here
Our CO2 data which powers our monthly report is available as a dataset, via an API or as part of a subscription to Apex
Banner image by Justin Lim on Unsplash